Animal Keeper I
Lindsay Wildlife Experience is seeking self-motivated, flexible and responsible individuals capable of supporting the daily operations of the Animal Encounters (AE) department. We are currently seeking candidates to fill one full-time position, Animal Keeper I. AE staff are expected to work with a wide variety of animals, including birds of prey, mammals, reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates. The AE staff help support Lindsay’s interpretive program, participating in daily public programming and working alongside the Education department to provide a high-quality guest experience.
- Work with Curator, veterinary staff, animal keeper staff, animal husbandry volunteers and interns to ensure the highest standards of animal care.
- Ensure compliance with USDA and Fish & Wildlife regulations.
- Participate in daily husbandry, including handling, enrichment, training using operant conditioning and digital record keeping.
- Participation in public programming using live animals; including daily exhibit hall programming and events on and off-site.
- Facility maintenance (cleaning, equipment upkeep, organizational projects, maintaining naturalistic exhibits).
- Accurate observation, evaluation and documentation of animal behaviors.
- Maintain excellent written and verbal communication with co-workers, manager, director, and veterinary staff.
- Must be willing to work weekends
- Work in coordination with the other departments to represent Lindsay and its mission in a professional manner and with high quality customer service.
- Eligible to work with venomous reptiles.
- Assigned as a primary animal keeper for a group of animal ambassadors based on experience.
- Participate in animal welfare assessments.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Have a valid driver’s license.
- Have a Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in zoology, biology, or a related field required.
- Have at least 1 year paid experience working with wild/exotic animals in a zoological setting.
- Have experience with public speaking as it relates to informal environmental education is preferred.
- Have experience training wild/exotic animals using operant conditioning.
- Have excellent communication skills with staff, volunteers, and guests.
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills and ability to speak to diverse audiences.
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team of both staff and volunteers.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word/Excel and Google Suite (Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Drive, etc.)
- Must be willing to work some holidays and weekends.
- Must be able to sustain prolonged bending, kneeling, standing, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
- Medium strength demands include exerting 20-50 pounds occasionally, 10-25 pounds frequently, or up to 10 pounds constantly. Requires handling, using vision and hearing, and talking.
- Frequently requires standing, fine dexterity, walking, lifting, sitting, reaching, pushing/pulling, balancing, climbing, and twisting. Occasionally requires carrying, kneeling, foot controls, bending, and crouching.
- Frequently requires time pressures, frequent change of tasks, irregular schedule/overtime, performing multiple tasks simultaneously, working closely with others as part of a team, tedious or exacting work, and noisy/distracting environment. Rarely requires emergency situations.
- Occasional exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions and/or hazards.
- Some office environment, as well as public exhibit hall programming, and frequent outdoor events and/or outreach sites.
Hours, Benefits & Compensation
Lindsay offers a competitive benefits package including paid sick time, vacation, holidays and 401K eligibility.
Flexibility to work some evenings, early mornings, and special events as needed.
Non-exempt full-time position, 40-hours a week.
$17 – $19/hour.
Send cover letter, resume and three references to: [email protected] Please put “Animal Keeper” in the subject line.
*Submit all materials in PDF format with your first initial and last name in the document name
The Lindsay Wildlife Experience requires all staff and volunteers to be fully vaccinated or to have a valid exemption request.
EEO POLICY STATEMENT
It is the policy of Lindsay Wildlife Experience to afford equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals without regard to their race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, citizen status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic or status that is protected by federal, state or local law.
Open until filled.