Animal Keeper–Part Time
Celebrating its 65th anniversary in 2020, Lindsay Wildlife Experience connects people with wildlife to inspire responsibility and respect for the world we share. It is a unique natural history and environmental education center where live wild animals are just inches away from visitors. It serves more than 100,000 children and adults and treats more than 5,500 animals each year in its pioneering Wildlife Rehabilitation Hospital.
Lindsay seeks a self-motivated, flexible and responsible individual capable of supporting the daily operations of the Animal Encounters Department. This entry-level position requires a self- motivated, flexible and responsible individual. Our part-time animal keepers are expected to work with a wide variety of animals, including birds of prey, mammals, reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates. Part-time animal keepers help support Lindsay’s interpretive program, participating in daily public programming and working alongside the Education Department to provide a high-quality guest experience.
- Work with curator, veterinary staff, animal keepers, interns and volunteers to ensure the highest standards of animal care.
- Participate in daily husbandry, including handling, enrichment, training and record keeping.
- Participation in public programming using live animals; including daily exhibit hall programming and special events on and off-site.
- Training and supervision of part-time animal keepers, volunteers and interns.
- Facility maintenance (cleaning, equipment upkeep, organizational projects).
- Accurate observation, evaluation and documentation of animal behaviors.
- Work in coordination with the other departments to represent Lindsay and its mission in a professional manner and with high quality customer service.
- Two years’ experience working with wild/exotic animals, preferably in a zoological setting.
- Solid understanding of operant conditioning as a basis of animal behavior management.
- BS in biology, animal behavior, or related field preferred.
- Experience training animals using positive reinforcement techniques.
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills and ability to speak to diverse audiences.
- Experience with public speaking as it relates to informal environmental education is preferred.
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team of both staff and volunteers.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word/Excel and Google Suite (Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Drive, etc)
- Must be willing to work some holidays and weekends.
- Must be able to sustain prolonged bending, kneeling, standing, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
- Medium strength demands include exerting 20-50 pounds occasionally, 10- 25 pounds frequently, or up to 10 pounds constantly. Requires handling, using vision and hearing, and talking.
- Frequently requires standing, fine dexterity, walking, lifting, sitting, reaching, pushing/pulling, balancing, and twisting. Occasionally requires carrying, kneeling, foot controls, bending, and crouching. Rarely requires climbing.
- Frequently requires time pressures, frequent change of tasks, irregular schedule/overtime, performing multiple tasks simultaneously, working closely with others as part of a team, tedious or exacting work, and noisy/distracting environment. Rarely requires emergency situations.
OVERALL WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Occasional exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions and/or hazards.
- Primarily office environment, as well as public exhibit hall programming, and infrequent outdoor event and/or outreach sites.
Hours, Benefits & Compensation
- Non-exempt part time position, 16-24-hours a week, $15.50 per hour
- Lindsay offers a competitive benefits package including paid sick time, vacation, holidays and 401K eligibility.
- Flexibility to work some evenings, early mornings and special events as needed.
To apply for this opportunity send cover letter, resume, and three references to: [email protected] Please put “Animal Keeper – Part Time” in the subject line.
No phone calls, please.
Automatic applications from websites, such as Indeed, will not be considered. References will not be checked without permission.
*Submit all materials in PDF format with your first initial and last name in the document name
EEO Policy Statement
It is the policy of Lindsay Wildlife Experience to afford equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals, without regard to their race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic or status that is protected by federal, state or local law.