Animal Keeper I- Part Time
Celebrating its 65th anniversary in 2020, Lindsay Wildlife Experience connects people with wildlife to inspire responsibility and respect for the world we share. It is a unique natural history and environmental education center where live wild animals are just inches away from visitors. It serves more than 100,000 children and adults and treats more than 5,500 animals each year in its pioneering Wildlife Rehabilitation Hospital.
Lindsay Wildlife Experience seeks self-motivated, flexible and responsible individuals capable of
supporting the daily operations of the Animal Encounters (AE) Department. The AE staff are expected to
work with a wide variety of animals, including birds of prey, mammals, reptiles, amphibians and
invertebrates. The AE staff help support Lindsay’s interpretive program, participating in daily public
programming and working alongside the Education Department to provide a high-quality guest
● Work with Curator, veterinary staff, animal keeper staff, animal husbandry volunteers and interns
to ensure the highest standards of animal care.
● Ensure compliance with USDA and Fish & Wildlife regulations.
● Participate in daily husbandry, including handling, enrichment, training using operant conditioning
and digital record keeping.
● Participation in public programming using live animals; including daily exhibit hall programming
and events on and off-site.
● Facility maintenance (cleaning, equipment upkeep, organizational projects, maintaining
● Accurate observation, evaluation and documentation of animal behaviors.
● Maintain excellent written and verbal communication with co-workers, manager, director, and
● Work in coordination with the other departments to represent Lindsay and its mission in a
professional manner and with high quality customer service.
● Eligible to work with venomous reptiles.
● Assigned as a primary animal keeper for a group of animal ambassadors based on experience.
● Responsible for developing and training of assigned animals and evaluating all activities with
regards to husbandry, medical, enrichment, handling and public presentations.
● Training of volunteers and interns on daily departmental tasks
● Acting as a keeper mentor for interns participating in our Animal Keeper internship program
● Participate in animal welfare assessments.
● Must be 18 years of age or older.
● Have a valid driver’s license.
● Have a Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in zoology, biology, or a related field required.
● Have at least 1 year paid experience working with wild/exotic animals in a zoological setting.
● Have experience with public speaking as it relates to informal environmental education is
● Have experience training wild/exotic animals using operant conditioning.
● Have excellent communication skills with staff, volunteers, and guests.
● Exemplary verbal and written communication skills and ability to speak to diverse audiences.
● Must be able to work independently and as part of a team of both staff and volunteers.
● Working knowledge of Microsoft Word/Excel and Google Suite (Google Docs, Google Sheets,
Google Drive, etc.)
● Must be willing to work some holidays and weekends.
● Must be able to sustain prolonged bending, kneeling, standing, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
● Ability to manage multiple and complex responsibilities at the same time.
● Medium strength demands include exerting 20-50 pounds occasionally, 10-25 pounds frequently,
or up to 10 pounds constantly. Requires handling, using vision and hearing, and talking.
● Frequently requires standing, fine dexterity, walking, lifting, sitting, reaching, pushing/pulling,
balancing, climbing, and twisting. Occasionally requires carrying, kneeling, foot controls, bending,
● Frequently requires time pressures, frequent change of tasks, irregular schedule/overtime,
performing multiple tasks simultaneously, working closely with others as part of a team, tedious or
exacting work, and noisy/distracting environment. Rarely requires emergency situations.
● Occasional exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions and/or hazards.
● Some office environment, as well as public exhibit hall programming, and frequent outdoor events and/or outreach sites.
Hours, Benefits & Compensation
● Lindsay offers a competitive benefits package including paid sick time, vacation, holidays and
● Flexibility to work some evenings, early mornings, and special events as needed.
● Non-exempt part-time, 24 hours a week.
● Pay: $17/hour
To apply for this opportunity send cover letter, resume, and three references to: [email protected]
- Please put “Animal Keeper – Part Time” in the subject line.
- No phone calls, please.
- Automatic applications from websites, such as Indeed, will not be considered. References will not be checked without permission.
- *Submit all materials in PDF format with your first initial and last name in the document name
- Example: JSmith_Resume.pdf
- Applications are open until position filled, with priority to applicants submitted on or before
October 4, 2022
EEO Policy Statement
It is the policy of Lindsay Wildlife Experience to afford equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals, without regard to their race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic or status that is protected by federal, state or local law.