Apprentice Animal Keeper
Lindsay Wildlife Experience seeks a self-motivated, flexible and responsible individual capable of supporting the daily operations of the Animal Encounters Department. Our Apprentice Animal Keeper is expected to work with a wide variety of animals, including birds of prey, mammals, reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates. The Apprentice Animal Keeper helps support Lindsay’s interpretive program, participating in daily public programming and working alongside the Education Department to provide a high-quality guest experience.
- Work with curator, veterinary staff, animal keepers, interns and volunteers to ensure the highest standards of animal care.
- Participate in daily husbandry, including handling, enrichment, and record keeping.
- Responsible for maintaining trained behaviors for the Animal Ambassadors.
- Participation in public programming using live animals; including daily exhibit hall programming and special events on and off-site.
- Training and supervision volunteers and interns in regards to animal husbandry related tasks.
- Facility maintenance (cleaning, equipment upkeep, organizational projects).
- Accurate observation, evaluation and documentation of animal behaviors.
- Work in coordination with the other departments to represent Lindsay and its mission in a professional manner and with high quality customer service.
- Experience working with wild/exotic animals, preferably in a zoological setting gained through internships, volunteer experience or employment.
- Enrollment in a program leading to at least a two-year degree or higher in one of the natural sciences or other disciplines. Degrees in other fields may be substituted by additional relevant experience.
- Experience training animals using positive reinforcement techniques.
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills and ability to speak to diverse audiences.
- Experience with public speaking as it relates to informal environmental education is preferred.
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team of both staff and volunteers.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word/Excel and Google Suite (Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Drive, etc)
- Must be willing to work some holidays and weekends.
- Must be able to sustain prolonged bending, kneeling, standing, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
- Medium strength demands include exerting 20-50 pounds occasionally, 10- 25 pounds frequently, or up to 10 pounds constantly. Requires handling, using vision and hearing, and talking.
- Frequently requires standing, fine dexterity, walking, lifting, sitting, reaching, pushing/pulling, balancing, and twisting. Occasionally requires carrying, kneeling, foot controls, bending, and crouching. Rarely requires climbing.
- Frequently requires time pressures, frequent change of tasks, irregular schedule/overtime, performing multiple tasks simultaneously, working closely with others as part of a team, tedious or exacting work, and noisy/distracting environment. Rarely requires emergency situations.
OVERALL WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Occasional exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions and/or hazards.
- Primarily office environment, as well as public exhibit hall programming, and infrequent outdoor event and/or outreach sites.
Hours, Benefits & Compensation
- This is a non-exempt full-time position, 40-hours a week, $15.50 per hour
- Temporary position beginning June 15 and ending October 10.
- Apprentice Animal Keeper is expected to work on July 4.
- Lindsay offers a competitive benefits package including paid sick time, vacation, holidays and 401K eligibility.
- Flexibility to work some evenings, early mornings and special events as needed.
- To apply for this opportunity send cover letter, resume, and three references to: [email protected] Please put “Apprentice Animal Keeper ” in the subject line.
- Automatic applications from websites, such as Indeed, will not be considered. References will not be checked without permission.
- *Submit all materials in PDF format with your first initial and last name in the document name. Example: JSmith_Resume.pdf
EEO Policy Statement
It is the policy of Lindsay Wildlife Experience to afford equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals, without regard to their race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic or status that is protected by federal, state or local law.
Open until filled.