Summer Camp Instructor
The mission of Lindsay Wildlife Experience is connecting people and wildlife to inspire responsibility and respect for the world we share.
Lindsay Wildlife Experience is seeking an experienced and enthusiastic educator to support this mission by delivering engaging, hands-on programming to campers in our half-day and full-day Summer Camps. The Summer Camp Instructor (SCI) is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Lindsay Wildlife Experience (LWE) summer day camps. The schedule of the SCI is the following:
- Monday through Friday
- Half-day camp sessions (5 weeks): 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Full-day camp sessions (3 weeks): 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Camp preparation meetings / trainings take place on select days throughout May and June 2020
- Camp begins June 8, 2020
- Camp ends August 7, 2020
- In conjunction with Education Specialist Bryan Mosley, the SCI will develop interesting, engaging, educational and enjoyable activities according to each week’s summer camp theme. The SCI will also create a schedule of activities for each week of summer camp.
- Participate in planning meetings before the start of the first week’s camp.
- Prepare the materials and activities for each day of camp, including arts, crafts, natural history specimens and all other arrangements.
- Oversee camper and youth counselor arrival as camp begins. Similarly, ensure safe departure of all campers and youth counselors as the camp day ends.
- Keep camp on schedule according to planned activities, snack times, breaks, and all other components of the daily camp routine.
- Engage with campers and counselors to ensure a safe, positive, fair, engaging and fun experience for all participants. Facilitate all activities.
- Assist Bryan Mosley as needed with camp organization.
- Maintain the summer camp operation in a well-organized and functional manner: set-up, activity management, camper supervision and clean-up.
- Previous education or working experience in children’s education (formal or informal), natural sciences, or related discipline. A college degree in related fields is helpful.
- Ability to work safely and positively with children between the ages of 4-10; skilled at encouragement, instruction, and guidance for children.
- Ability to display good judgment and exercise diplomacy at all times; courteous and respectful interactions with supervisors, co-workers, volunteers, and the public.
- Strong, age-appropriate verbal communication skills and able to foster positive interpersonal relationships.
- Medium strength demands include exerting 20-50 pounds occasionally, 10-25 pounds frequently, or up to 10 pounds constantly. Requires using vision and hearing, and talking.
- Frequently requires standing, fine dexterity, walking, lifting, sitting, reaching, pushing/pulling, balancing and twisting. Occasionally requires carrying, kneeling, foot controls, bending and crouching. Rarely requires climbing.
- Frequently requires change of tasks, working closely with others as part of a team, and noisy/distracting environment. Rarely handling emergency situations.
Hours, Benefits & Compensation
This is a seasonal, non-exempt (hourly) position that pays $15 / hour.
To apply for this opportunity, submit your resume, cover letter, and three professional references to:
Bryan Mosley, Education Specialist, Lindsay Wildlife Experience: [email protected]
No phone calls, please.
EEO Policy Statement
It is the policy of Lindsay Wildlife Experience to afford equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals, without regard to their race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic or status that is protected by federal, state or local law.