Lindsay Wildlife Experience Celebrates Turkey Vulture Lord Richard’s 44th Birthday on Saturday, June 30!
Join Lindsay Wildlife Experience for Lord Richard—our FEMALE —turkey vulture’s, 44th birthday Saturday, June 30!
Lindsay Wildlife will host a day-long party for Richard, who greets and delights Lindsay visitors from her al fresco aviary at the Walnut Creek wildlife center’s entrance. The party includes birthday cake specially baked for Richard, arts and crafts, turkey vulture games, and Lindsay will offer TWO special story times from the Contra Costa County Library Discover & Go program.Then sit in the Raptor Redwood Grove and watch Lord Richard take flight!
Cupcakes will be provided for visitors to enjoy at Richard’s outdoor aviary at 1 p.m. And new this year, Lindsay Wildlife will have a face painter on-site!
One of the wildlife rehabilitation center’s longest-living residents, Richard came to Lindsay as a juvenile from the Randall Museum in San Francisco. After being raised by people, she imprinted and would not socialize properly with wild turkey vultures. When she came to Lindsay in 1974, she was assumed to be male, as female and male turkey vultures look identical. Then, in late 1980, Richard laid an egg. But instead of changing her name, Lindsay decided to keep her as a female “Lord!”
Where: Lindsay Wildlife Experience, 1931 First Ave., Walnut Creek, adjacent to Larkey Park.
When: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday June 30.
- 11 a.m.: Story Time with Contra Costa County Libraries as part of their Discover & Go Series
- 11 a.m.: Sit in the Raptor Redwood Grove and watch Lord Richard in Raptor Recess
- 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Face Painting: Look like Lord Richard!
- Noon: Story Time with Contra Costa County Libraries (we’re offering two in case you miss the first one!)
- 1 p.m.: Have cake with Lord Richard!
- 2:15 p.m.: One more chance to see Lord Richard spread her wings as part of Flight School
Event cost: Free with paid admission. General admission is $10/adults; $8/children ages 2-17; $9/seniors age 65 and up, free for members.