Wildlife Rehabilitation Internship Program
This unpaid internship program offers an unparalleled opportunity for hands-on experience with care and treatment of injured or orphaned native California birds, mammals, reptiles and amphibians.
Working in conjunction with Lindsay Hospital staff and over 300 volunteers, interns are given the opportunity to learn about all aspects of wildlife rehabilitation with hands-on experiences. Lindsay offers two types of internships: a standard internship that includes both husbandry and medical training and experience, and a husbandry-specific program that is suited for individuals that wish to expand their knowledge on proper husbandry of native California wildlife.
The 2023 internship program has now concluded. The 2023 information below can serve as a reference to general aspects of the program. Use the links below to get more information and to express interest in the 2024 program.
—– Information below is for the 2023 program —–
We offer two different 12-week intern program sessions during the 2023 peak season, timed to correspond with common college/university summer breaks:
- Session I: Sunday, May 21 – Saturday, August 12, 2023 (semester system)
- Session II: Monday, June 19 – Sunday, September 10, 2023 (quarter system)
In addition to the weekly hands-on husbandry and medical shift work, the internship program includes weekly in-person Thursday classes and reading assignments covering various aspects of wildlife rehabilitation and care.
The program requires completion of:
- A minimum of 200 intern program hours during one of the 12-week sessions.
- Minimum of three 5-hour shifts per week for the 12 weeks, usually 2 weekday shifts and one weekend day shift per week.
- Shifts are usually 8:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. (a.m. shift) or 1:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. (p.m. shift).
- Includes weekend and holiday shifts.
- Alternate scheduling, including an extended timeframe into the next session, may be available by prior arrangement. Interns can choose to continue on after their session ends to receive more advanced hands-on instruction and accumulate additional hours.
- All required training, including orientation and weekly class sessions that may require attendance on a non-shift day.
We are currently developing the 2024 program, please refer to the links belowaccepting applications for the 2023 sessions. The application deadline is April 7, 2023.
—– Above information is for the 2023 program —–
For more information about the intern program, including duties, requirements, and application instructions, please refer to the Wildlife Rehabilitation Internships page of the Lindsay Wildlife Experience Volunteer Opportunities website.
Questions? Contact [email protected]